Orthodox believers in Serbia celebrate Christmas Day by traditionally bringing in and lighting a Christmas tree. In the evening, the family gathers for with a fasting meal which is mostly repeated from year to year and almost never changes.
Of the dishes on the table, besides bread and salt, it should be found fish – either baked or friedpotato salad, beans (usually broad beans)sauerkraut, pickle…
There are also essential walnuts, prunes, apricots and figs, but also honey and wine…
There is no doubt that the fasting diet consists of plant products, but what can be prepared quickly, so that it is sweet, tasty, but also healthy.
We suggest you make healthy date balls without added sugar, which are ready “in the blink of an eye”, and best of all, they can be served immediately.
They are an ideal choice for those who prepare cakes at the last minute and for those who do not have much experience in the kitchen.
– 300-400 grams of dates
– 150-200 grams of ground roasted hazelnuts (separate half a cup from this amount on the side)
– A handful of raw, coarsely ground almonds
– 1 spoon of cocoa powder
– 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
– Grind hazelnuts and almonds
– Soak the dates in warm water for 10 minutes, then grind them in a blender to make a puree
– Combine hazelnuts, almonds and dates, then add cocoa and vanilla
– Make balls and roll them and the ground hazelnuts that we separated from the side
– If desired, hazelnuts can be added to each ball, but then 50 grams of hazelnuts are needed more.
Dates, by the way, have a wide range of health and nutritional values which is why they are often said to be the healthiest fruit on the planet.
About 100 grams contain about 0.90 milligrams of iron, which is about 11 percent of the recommended daily intake.
They are known to the Arabs as “bread of the desert” and in ancient Greece the people called them “fruits of the gods”.