May 06, 2021 – 23:22
Former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed has been injured in a suspected bomb blast in the Male capital.
Supporters from the ruling Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) said the blast happened as he was riding in a car outside his home on Thursday.
Initial reports indicated that an explosive device had been attached to an engine that was parked nearby. Several other people were reported injured in the incident.
Nasheed, 53, is currently serving as speaker of parliament, which is the second most powerful position in the Indian Ocean.
The hospital that treats Mr. Nasheed said he had suffered multiple injuries but was in a stable condition.
In a Twitter post, the current Maldives president, Abu Solih, said police had launched an investigation into the blast.
An MP from the MDP told the BBC that the blast was “a targeted attack against Mr. Nasheed ”. However, no one has claimed responsibility and there have been no reports of arrests.
Mr Nasheed’s supporters have gathered outside the hospital where he is being treated. The situation is reported to be tense and the police are on alert./a2cnn