Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Mladic sentenced to life in prison – Latest News

Mladic is sentenced to life in prison

UN judges upheld the life sentence of former Serbian military chief Ratko Mladic for organizing genocide and other atrocities throughout the 1992-95 Bosnian war.

Former Serbian commander Ratko Mladic has lost his appeal against a 2017 conviction for genocide and crimes against humanity.

International Mechanism for Criminal Courts, upheld the life sentence for his role in the killing of some 8,000 Bosnian (Bosnian) Muslim men and boys in Srebrenica in

The International Mechanism for Criminal Courts in The Hague is a successor institution of the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia.

In 2017, in a first-instance trial, Mladic was sentenced to life in prison on a number of charges, including the Srebrenica genocide and crimes against humanity.

Mladic trial

The International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) indicted Ratko Mladic on July 24, 1995. After 16 years on the run, he appeared in court for the first time in July 2011.

Mladic, a former general, was involved in the war in Bosnia and Herzegovina in 1992-95 as commander of the Bosnian Serb army.

In 2017, The Hague sentenced Mladic – in the first instance – to life in prison after he was found guilty of genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the laws of war.

The trial against him began in 2012 and lasted a total of 530 days.

Following the announcement of the decision, the defense and prosecutors appealed the decision, and the announcement of the final decision takes place today (June 8).

The defense had requested that he be released or that the case be returned for retrial. Meanwhile, the prosecution had requested that Mladic be found guilty of genocide in six other municipalities in Bosnia and Herzegovina, except Srebrenica.

Mladic was convicted of genocide against Bosniaks in Srebrenica in the summer of 1995, when Bosnian Serb forces killed more than 8,000 men and boys, persecuted Bosnian Muslims and Croats, terrorized civilians during the siege of Sarajevo and took hostages. members of the foreign mission, UNPROFOR, during the war in Bosnia.

So far, 94 mass graves have been excavated in the town of Srebrenica and the remains of more than 6,900 people killed by Serbian army forces have been identified. More than 1,000 missing Srebrenica residents are still wanted.

Evidence of war crimes

Ratko Mladic was the commander-in-chief of the Republika Srpska Army. His army had kept Sarajevo under siege for 1,460 days by throwing hundreds of thousands of grenades and other attacks on the city. More than 11,500 people were killed. The number of children killed during the siege of Sarajevo is about 1,600.

Mladic was tried in the first instance by The Hague Tribunal for: genocide in Srebrenica, persecution, extermination, crimes against humanity, violation of the laws and customs of war, deportation, forced displacement, terrorism, assault on civilians and hostage-taking.

He was convicted on 10 of 11 charges. He was acquitted of genocide charges in six Bosnian municipalities during 1992.

At the time, the presiding judge, Alphons Orie, speaking on the Srebrenica genocide charge, had said that “the Chamber found that members of the Republika Srpska army were intended to destroy Bosnian Muslims”.

“The chamber concluded that crimes of genocide, persecution, extermination and murder and inhumane acts of forced displacement had been committed against Bosnian Muslims in and around Srebrenica,” Orie said.

The first-instance decision stated that Serbian army forces had previously created an atmosphere of insecurity and intolerance in Srebrenica.

“They separated the men, including minors. The court found that several thousand had been systematically killed,” the court ruling said.

Mladic was sentenced in absentia by Croatian courts as commander of the Yugoslav People’s Army (JNA) to 20 years in prison for war crimes committed during the wars in the former Yugoslavia.

In addition to Mladic, the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in The Hague has convicted 13 other former members of the Serbian army and police for the same crimes.

Of all the crimes committed during the fighting in the former Yugoslavia, international courts have only characterized the crime in Srebrenica as genocide. The genocide was confirmed by a ruling by the International Court of Justice in The Hague in February 2007.

Comments are closed.